Is my Dirty Dryer Vent Dangerous?

December 14, 2016

maryland dryer vent cleaning comapny, maryland dirty dryer vent

The dryer vent is something in the home that doesn’t typically make the weekly to-clean list for most people. Many homeowners are either unaware that the dryer vent needs to be cleaned, or do not know to clean it until it has already become a problem. There are some serious risks you take by not cleaning your dryer vent regularly. We recommend having a technician clean the vent to ensure it is done properly and everything is replaced in the correct fashion.

Why should I clean my dryer vents?

Believe it or not, your dryer’s lint trap will actually only catch about 80% of the lint that is produced during a drying cycle. This means the remaining 20% of lint accumulates in your dryer vent. Over time, this lint build up in the vent can cause problems. In addition to preventing issues, having a clean dryer vent can also save you money because your dryer will run more efficiently.

What are the dangers of a dirty dryer vent?

The most dangerous issue is that dirty dryer vents are fire hazards. If not cleaned regularly, lint can build up and because it is light, fine, and dry, it is very flammable. The National Fire Protection Agency estimates that around 15,000 fires are started each year from dirty or clogged dryer vents. Protect your home and your family by ensuring that your dryer vent is clean and free of debris.

How often should I have my dryer vents cleaned?

The answer to how often to have your vents cleaned is: it depends. The frequency at which you need your vents cleaned is dependent on your home’s size and how much laundry you do. A large home that does multiple loads a week or is constantly doing laundry should consider having regular maintenance by a professional, and ask them to set up a recurring time based on your output. Otherwise, if you are a normal home or just one person, consider having it done once a year with your other annual home projects.

TIP: If your dryer isn’t drying your load of clothing or towel in one cycle this is a dead giveaway that it is time to check the dryer and the dryer vent.

How do I clean my dryer vents?

In order to clean the dryer vent you will need to disconnect the dryer from the back, you will need a special brush and vacuum to clean debris. Because most homeowners do not have these types of tools we recommend you hire a technician to perform your cleaning. Hiring a pro will ensure that your vents are cleaned well, even the ducts, and that your dryer is put back correctly. Dryer vent cleaning is also very affordable, often much cheaper than you might think.

If you are in need of a professional dryer vent cleaning professional please contact Fireside Stone and Patio for a consultation.